Tripoli Mid-Ohio

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you're having issues with login,
Click the login link above the text boxes.

Author Topic: _Filming_ Site for Ken Sewell's 2016 movie _Fallen Eagle_ rocket flights ...  (Read 2671 times)

larryr33323

• View Profile

Tripoli Mid Ohio;
  Hi, this is Larry Rice of Columbus, OH. I have attended TMO launches with Ross Dunton in the past. This would go back to the early 1990's. I am also working with Randy Boadway and Lee Berry of the TORC NAR section on an upcoming Korean War era movie covering the first African-American NAVY pilot whom attended OSU and flew a F4U Corsair in the Korean War (yes, they still flew those in the early Korean War years).
    Ken Sewell, the film's producer/ sometimes Director (he made the 2013 Cold War film _Phantom_ with Ed Harris and David Duchovny)  and I are looking for a site to film the balloon platform to ground on a nylon line BT-70 rocket flights for the movie. The rockets will not be flying very far on the nylon line. So I will be cutting the motors size down and epoxying on another end cap. They need to only fly about 100 feet , at most. They will be slowed down by _tie-off_ lines at near perpendicular angles to slow the rocket down. The rockets will be launched by remote control from a weather balloon platform.
   There will also be pyro charges on the ground to simulate the rocket exploding. The charges will likely destroy my rockets on the ground. The actual end-of-line ground contact site will be camoflaged with _bushes_. Already filmed are L-19 Bird Dog surveilance plane launch sequences taken with an actual Vietnam-era plane with launch tubes near Sonama, CA. The balloon platform will not show up in the movie. You will see the pilot launching the _2.75 inch_ rockets from his plane. And then the rockets traveling towards the ground and exploding.
   I am trying to help Mr. Sewell (he is a Cold War era retired Nuclear Sub on-board engineer) find a site to conduct the rocket sequence. He lives in Gahanna, OH (a Columbus suburb). If TMO would like to be involved and get permission to do this somewhere on the property of your land owner. I will see that TMO and the land owner get film credits at the end of the movie. Two-time Heisman Award winner Archie Griffin has a small part in the  movie. His part has already been filmed. Ken Sewell got some film money from the Ohio State Alumni Association. That must be why Mr. Griffin was offered a part in the movie. Ken also got some money from the Ohio Film Commission, among other groups.
  Please let me Ken and I know what the land owner and you guys think about this. Is this a doable thing somewhere on this farm's property ?? This should probably not take place during a TMO launch date. But that is just my opinion. The explosive charges will be detonated by professionals from  the Hollywood film industry.
Ken has contacts with these people from his first film, where most of the explosions were under water.  The filming will take place this winter, with blue skies and cold temperatures.

Skyward,
Larry Rice

Gary

• BoD
  • Fly high, fly safe!
    • View Profile

Larry,

This sounds pretty cool! The TMO BoD will discuss this with the land owners and get back with you.
Gary Dickinson
Prefect - Tripoli Mid Ohio #31
Prefect - Tripoli Gerlach #138
Director - Tripoli Rocketry Association
TRA #5520; L3; TAP Member

larryr33323

• View Profile

Gary,
  Thanks !  By the way the first black Navy pilot was Ensign Jesse Leroy Brown. He died in a North Korean POW camp as a  result of his mostly untreated crash landing injuries.  He attended OSU before enlisting in the Navy.
  Ken Sewell is also a NY Times best seller author. His books are: RED STAR ROGUE (the movie _Phantom_ was based on that book), ALL HANDS DOWN; the Soviet sinking by RAT(rocket assisted torpedo) of the sub U.S.S. Scorpion in 1968 (for something the Soviet KGB actually did to them). There is a FACEBOOK page for the upcoming movie _Fallen Eagle_. Those with FACEBOOK access can see photos and info on the movie there.

Upwards,
 Larry Rice