Tripoli Mid-Ohio

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you're having issues with login,
Click the login link above the text boxes.

Author Topic: BALLS 25  (Read 2313 times)

Gary

• BoD
  • Fly high, fly safe!
    • View Profile
BALLS 25
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »

We are back from the playa and there is a report and pics posted on the TMO Face Book page. Check it out.....
Gary Dickinson
Prefect - Tripoli Mid Ohio #31
Prefect - Tripoli Gerlach #138
Director - Tripoli Rocketry Association
TRA #5520; L3; TAP Member

emlang

• View Profile
Re: BALLS 25
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:44:42 PM »

Gary,
It was good to see you guys there. I thought the 18 hours from here in Albuquerque was bad but 34 sounds awful.  :-[
I want to thank you, Joe Grubb, and Bob McAninch for all of you have helped me with when I was  just starting as a TMO member. If it wasn't for you guys I would of gotten into this great sport and gone to an amazing event such as Balls. I thought I liked rocketry before but Balls has peaked my interest to a new level. I have my targets set on getting my L3 before I go back next year. I can promise I will bring something worth a show to Balls26!
I may be out of the state now but will always consider TMO my home for rocketry!

Fly high!

Evan Lang

Gary

• BoD
  • Fly high, fly safe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »

Evan,

Thank you for your kind words; it was good to see you too! I am glad to see that you have embraced the passion of HPR. I hope you never loose it.

If you need a TAP member for your L3, I would be honored to be part of your team.
Gary Dickinson

joe

• Farthest from the pad.....really!
  • BoD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »

I had a great time!!  I must say this was a different experience for me than any other rocket launch I have attended.  First it was the furthest away.  Traveling through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and finally Nevada was daunting but interesting.  Well, except at night when you couldn't see anything.  Over 2000 miles to our destination and when you get there it really is the end of the road. 

I bought a hat at Bruno's that says, "Where the pavement ends and the Real West begins."  That pretty much puts it in a nutshell.  I have never been in the West so I really enjoyed the scenery.  I now understand what is meant by "Big Sky".

I got to fly two rockets.  One was my Shape Shifter 5 on an Aerotech M1550R.  This would have been pretty impressive at one of our launches as it went to 9300'.  For BALLS it was more like a pop up flight.  It was absolutely straight up and had a perfect recovery at 600 yards away.  My other flight was on my Wildman Extreme Plus.  The plus is because i extended the booster and added a Rouse Tech aluminum fin can.  It hit 20,370' and 1200mph (Mach 1.6) for a new personal best for me thanks to the Dickinson M2300?  My goal on this trip was to break 20,000' so thanks Gary!!

Evan, you never cease to amaze me. For a guy that had never even seen a high power rocket launch a little over a year ago you have come a long way.  Seeing you at BALLS made me proud to be a part of a hobby that not only allows people to grow at the rate they need to but supports them in their efforts and it made me proud to be your friend. Gerald has a great photo of you in his collection on TRF.  I look forward to seeing you next year and I have no doubts that you will be L3.  I offer my services as a TAP also if you need it.  I have a feeling you will not have any difficulty finding one locally though. 

They say that after you go to a BALLS launch it gets in your blood and once you return home you realize that you just have to go back.  I have to say that's not exactly true.  It was a long drive out there (34 hours after a two hour drive to Gary's house), eating fast food, trying to sleep sitting up in the truck.  We arrived at Bruno's "Hotel" that had neither air conditioning nor heat (apparently it was between both seasons) and had a bathroom door that wouldn't close, a microwave oven that only worked on the popcorn setting, a refrigerator that didn't work at all, and dust that got EVERYWHERE!   Did I mention the trains that only run in the wee hours in the morning about 200 feet from the hotel with whistle blasting?  Then it was out to the playa.  A dirty dusty ride 18 to 20 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

No, I didn't come home and decide I have to go back there.  I decided before that.  It was the first trip to the playa before we had ever launched a rocket.  There is something special about a place that rocket attempts to over 200,000' are allowed.  The closest pad from which you may launch is 500' and rockets consist of everything from cardboard, fiberglass, carbon fiber, to aluminum.   There is a commercial K motor minimum limit.  This is the Top Gun of rocketry launches.  The best of the best.  I was very glad to be an observer and to participate in helping with the launch as a Tripoli Gerlach member and to represent Tripoli Mid Ohio by flying my two rockets that seemed to be a small part in the scheme of things but were just as important to me as any.  Looking forward to next year if someone will give me a ride. Wish I had done this when I was younger.

Thanks Gary, Bill, and Michael for allowing me to be a part of your merry band. 

Joe 

Joe Grubb
TRA 1206 L3, TAP
NAR 78797 L3
Tripoli Mid Ohio #31 VP

Gary

• BoD
  • Fly high, fly safe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »

Joe: As long as I have a RTRV (Rocket Transport/Recovery Vehicle) you will have a seat in it; but you will STILL have to share in the driving. And as long as I have a room at Bruno's, you will have  bed to sleep in. Microwave and HVAC optional!! Trains at 2 AM guaranteed!!!   ;D

Black Rock is a bunch of extremes:  venue; weather; rockets; and people.

For the rest of y'all: Put this on or rocketry bucket list. You will not regret it.

SYATNL.
Gary Dickinson

joe

• Farthest from the pad.....really!
  • BoD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »

What Gary said.  You can't describe this to someone.  You have to experience it.  Count me in for next year. 

I saw Michael test the maximum speed of carbon fiber.  It was just slightly less than his test vehicle speed.  I saw Bill melt carbon fiber fin leading edges with only air friction.  I saw the biggest Jagermeister bottle in history completely implode to nothingness.  Priceless.

Joe Grubb
TRA 1206 L3, TAP
NAR 78797 L3
Tripoli Mid Ohio #31 VP

emlang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »

Joe,

Sorry for the long delay in my response as I just saw your reply now.
Thank you for the kind words. Rocketry is truly a hobby that aligns with my passions perfectly. I agree that it is a hobby where anyone, with spending a little money, can succeed and grow rapidly. It was a mad rush to make a few motors and a rocket for balls at the last minute but it all worked out and I am glad. Balls opened up an entirely new set of goals for me and the high power sport.
I have already purchased my L3 rocket and hope to launch in the coming months. (It is nice that there are sites here out west with a regular clearance to 58,000 feet.) ;)
I will be sure to let you and Gary know when I do my L# launch. There are many TAPs out here but I would be honored to have one of you be my second. You guys are the ones who help me get started and it is only fitting to keep my roots with TMO going!

I look foward to seeing all of you again next year as well!